Stay informed on what is happening at the Capitol so you can act while legislators make important decisions.
The Minnesota legislature and governor are constitutionally obligated to provide the foundational resources so all children succeed. If they do not, students lose the educational opportunities that they need and deserve.
Everyone can help advocate that all public school children receive a high-quality education. Working together, we can make a difference.
- Make school levies more affordable.
- Allow school boards to renew referendums.
- Stop school levy tax relief from eroding.
What’s happening in education around the state?
What education legislation is on the radar for 2023?
Current educational bills
- SF123/HF 5 – School lunch and breakfast provision for all students
- SF100 -Property tax levy share decrease and state aid share increase of operating referendum revenue for qualifying special school districts
- SF613 /HF 535 -School board renewal of an expired referendum authorization
- HF456/ SF615– Expansion of voluntary prekindergarten and school readiness plus program made permanent, and money appropriated.
- SF866/HF879 – Local optional revenue increased, future increases in local optional revenue liked to the growth in general education basic formula allowance, and money appropriated.
- HF19 – Paid Family and Medical Leave
- HF439 – Increase the general education basic formula by 5% in each of the next two years and tie future increases to the rate of inflation.
- HF879-Youkaim / SF866-Westlin – Local optional revenue increased, future increases in local optional revenue linked to the growth in general education basic formula allowance, and money appropriated.
- HF1271-Youakim / SF1601-Hoffman Operating referendum program equalization aid increase; property tax levies decrease; appropriating money.
- HF1396-Hemmingsen-Jeger Equalization aid increased for debt service equalization program, property tax levies decreased, and money appropriated.
- HF1457-Pursell / SF1247-Dahms Allowed uses of long-term facilities maintenance revenue and capital levies clarified.
Know Key Legislators
Find contact information for key elected officials.
Get timely and detailed reporting from the Capitol.