- State funding has not kept pace with rising costs, unfunded mandates, and growing expectations.
- All school districts rely on school levies to make up for inadequate state funding.
- Over 70% of districts have voter-approved operating levies.
- The disparity in voter-approved operating levies ranges from $0 to over $2,500 per pupil, leaving many students without the educational opportunities they need and deserve.
Revenue Disparity Between the Lowest and Highest Funded Schools Districts
The gap in funding between school districts is growing and most of the growth is due to the disparities in voter-approved operating levies ranging from $0 to $2,500 per pupil.
Significant Disparities in District’s Current School Levies
See the taxpayer cost for the current operating levy for all Minnesota school districts.
Revenue Rankings by District
Revenue per school district ranges from $19,000 to $9,300 per pupil. Two factors account for most of the disparity – state aid for school districts with challenging demographics and the inequality in local school levy revenue.
The Basic Funding Formula Has Not Kept Pace with Inflation
Basic formula revenue is meant to provide a quality education for all students. Minnesota spends nearly $1,600 per pupil less on students today than it did for students in the early 1990s.
Minnesota’s National Ranking in School Funding
Residents living in the states at the top of the chart pay more of their income to support their public schools than those living in states at the bottom of the chart.
The Nation’s Report Card Measures Student Outcomes
Is Minnesota doing enough to ensure all children succeed?
Unfunded mandates stretch school districts thin.
The financial challenges of unfunded mandates
School districts want to meet the needs of all their students. When mandated services are underfunded, districts rely on the basic formula and school levies to make up for inadequate state funding.
- The Unfunded Cost of Special Education Services by District
- The Impact of Special Education on School Budgets
- The Unfunded Cost for English Learning Services by District